Sunday, November 3, 2013

Final Project Thoughts

I will be mapping the lighthouses of Florida.  I chose this subject because next year for our anniversary, my husband and I are taking a trip to Florida and we enjoy touring lighthouses.  We have several books that are not current and that do not have maps.  I also see a need for this map because even though I have found several sites on-line regarding lighthouses with maps, I have yet to find one map that encompasses the entire state, with all lighthouses listed.  The audience for this map will primarily be my family, but I intend to model it after tourist-style maps. 
The scope of my map will be the coastal areas, with just the base map of Florida needed.  The data that I have found so far is from the U.S. Coast Guard and the Florida Lighthouse Association, all current this year.  I will attempt to include all lighthouses and reef and shoal lights, indicating whether the lights are still active, and most importantly, if they are open to the public.  Some grounds are open to the public, but the lights themselves cannot be toured, so I will specify that open to the public is meaning that you can actually climb the tower to the lens room.  There are 35 lighthouses in Florida at this time, with 29 remaining active and 11 offering tours. 
After uploading the basemap, I will spend a lot of time on getting the colors and fonts to match the old-time feel of the map.  I love the color scheme from the map on the attached website, but will incorporate some of my own ideas…  I will find a mimetic icon and decide how to show the data of active/decommissioned and open/closed to the public.  I’m not sure yet on the best way to do this…
I expect my main challenge will be placing all of the information on the map in a fresh, aesthetically pleasing way.  The link at the bottom is to a map from www.pensacolalighthouse.org .  I feel it is the “best looking” map that I have found, but it doesn’t include all of the information that I need.  I like the “old” feel to it, which brings to mind the era in which lighthouses played such an important part.  I would like to improve this map, with maybe this color scheme.  The other 4 maps included again do not show all of the lighthouses and are lacking in aesthetic appeal to me.  




Partial Map of Florida Lighthouses


 

No comments:

Post a Comment